Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Spaghetti Squash Marinara





I have been dying to try baked spaghetti squash used as spaghetti noodles. I have heard so many times how it is a delicious, healthy substitute you can use for any type of pasta, in any dish. This, my friends, is a winner. A friend of mine has made spaghetti squash lasagna and spaghetti squash casserole several times, and every time I get a picture of it my mouth would water. Finally, my taste buds are satisfied of their curiosity.




It was a very simple night with a very simple dinner. Here is what happened in the Experimental Eatery I call my kitchen... :)

Squash:
Pre heat oven to 400 Fahrenheit
Cut one large spaghetti squash in half length-wise
Remove the seeds and inards
Lightly coat open face with olive oil and salt/pepper to taste
Place face down on a pan and bake for about 40 minutes

Sauce:
Bring a pan to medium heat and put in 2 tbsp pine nuts
Stir pine nuts until browned slightly
Add 1/2 tbsp coconut oil and 1/4 medium white onion
Sautee
Add 1/2 can of plain tomato sauce and bring to a simmer (I used Muir Glen Organic)
Add 2 tbsp Yummy Vegan Pesto Classico, or other pesto if desired
Add 1/4 cup ground beef (already cooked), preferably Chuck, or omit for vegan option
Cover and let simmer for a few minutes.



Scrape out your spaghetti squash noodles with a fork, combing lengthwise and add them to the sauce


Mix together and let simmer a couple more minutes
Serve hot

I served this delicious Italian-inspired meal with a slice of the Life Changing Loaf by My New Roots, and a glass of red wine.

:)

Buon appetite!

xoxo










No comments:

Post a Comment