Monday, May 12, 2014

Corn and Chick Pea Summer Salad

Summer is upon us! It seemed only appropriate to do a light corn salad with it being so beautiful and, well... summer-y outside!

Every Wednesday- for small group- I seem to get inspired to try my hand at cooking something fun. I think it's because it's a gathering of wonderful friends, and you can't help but get excited about that.

This recipe was delicious and quite simple. I got it from http://www.delish.com/recipefinder/corn-chickpea-salad-recipe

I modified the recipe a little bit, based on what was available at Trader Joe's :) Here it is!

- 3 cans of corn
- Olive oil
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 cup of diced cucumbers (or a little more)
- 1 can of Garbanzo Beans
- 1 1/2 cups of toasted walnuts (or close to it)
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup Oregano
- 3 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 Garlic Clove
- 1 cup crumbled feta (I believe my package was 9 oz.)

First I put the 3 cans of corn into a skillet with some olive oil, salt, and pepper to brown it. Then I took about a cup and a half of walnuts and spread them over a cookie sheet. I put them in the oven at 350 to toast them while the corn cooked. 

The corn took 15-20 mins to brown, so in the mean time I mixed all the other ingredients in a large bowl. 

Once the corn was slightly browned, I took it off the eye and let it cool for a while. I took the walnuts out of the oven and mixed them into the large bowl. Once the corn was cool enough (if you're in a pinch- it's actually not bad warm either!), I mixed everything together. 

Ta-da! Corn salad.

I loved this recipe; it's delicious and healthy, and serves a group of people easily!

**Also, Trader Joe's has frozen garlic cloves in a pop-out plastic container. You just pop out the square of frozen, minced garlic and put it in your skillet! Works like a charm. Happy summer break!


No comments:

Post a Comment